Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Three Spills and a Lesson

This afternoon I took the kids to see "Kit Kittredge: An American Girl". It was charming and at times moving, watching an American family struggle through the adversities of the depression. But our time at the movies was not without our own adversity...

Spill #1 - We bought nachos and hot dogs for lunch (me being the ultra-health conscience mother that I am.) Steven wasn't in his seat 10 minutes before - CRASH! The nacho chips flew everywhere, and the giant glob of cheese food oozed across the floor. The container landed helpfully upside-down, covering the whole mess. "Clean up in Theater 16!" The movie theater staff graciously gave us a free replacement nachos.

Spill #2 - After the movie, in the restroom, I was helping Steven wash his hands when my drink slipped out of my hands. It landed upside down with the lid still on, but as I picked it up, the lid popped off and Diet Coke spilled everywhere. Another mom laughed with me at the mess and helped me wipe up the spill.

Spill #3 - A few errands later, we stopped at Tully's for something cold to drink. You would think I would've learned my lesson by then...but you'd be wrong. On the way home, I heard the dreaded sound of ice crashing on the cup lid and liquid splashing on the shopping bags below. Noooo.... Time to pack it up and go home. Mommy's had it!

The lesson came in during the movie. Sitting in front of us was a young girl and her grandmother. The grandmother had a walker and every 10 to 15 minutes during the movie, she would get up and limp around in the aisle next to their seats. It was clear that sitting for too long was painful for her. It couldn't have been easy for her to bring her granddaughter to the movies. It would have been easier to stay home. But she didn't stay home. She came, and she sat in front of us, and she limped around the aisle to relieve the pain of sitting too long, while her granddaughter happily watched the movie.

This is sacrificial love at it's best. SHE is sacrificial love. It makes me smile...and cry...and repent...and forgive. And it makes me a little more in love with the people God made. I think the three spills were worth it.

2 comments:

jennifer lee said...

wow...good lesson! what grandma's will do for their grandchildren! i was thinking of taking ellie to see that movie:)

Jonnie said...

Can I just say... you are amazing!! I actually don't allow anything in the car that does not have the ability to be vacuumed.... I wish my kids experienced more. Love ya!!!