Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Adventures in Cheerleading

So, I somehow have fallen into the role of Head Coach of Megan's cheerleading squad. And I am totally out of my element. Contrary to the popular perception of me (perky + blonde = must have been a cheerleader), I was not and never have been a cheerleader. (Although, that's my favorite lie to throw in in the icebreaker game "Two truths, and a lie." It gets 'em every time!) No, my glory days of high school were spent...wait for it...here it comes...

...in marching band! Yes, I was the queen of all band geeks, successfully mastering 4 instruments (flute, oboe, piccolo, and english horn), and leading the corp of 160+ as drum major my junior and senior year. While the cheerleaders in my high school were winning homecoming tiaras and little trophies with megaphones on them, my sites were set on "Superior with Distinction's" and "Best Marcher" awards. (I rocked a "right flank" like nobody's business!)

And our uniforms were a far cry from the perky, short skirts, form-fitting tops, and puffy cheer bow. My drum major skirt reached past my knees, black riding boots peeked out from underneath, and my polyester jacket, still smelling faintly of the previous owner, was tucked into wrist gauntlets and white gloves. The only skin I showed was on the back of my neck, owing to the required, slicked-up hair bun that gave the illusion of a uniform, gender-less group.

While the cheerleaders were worrying about knee injuries and properly executed jumps, I was wincing in pain from the 3-inch blisters that my drum major boots left on my heels, and building up my arm and shoulder muscles to be able to withstand waving my arms for a full 15 minute show. (I know...you are impressed. 15 WHOLE minutes....but that uniform WAS heavy!)

So, as I wade through the foreign world of cheer gear, herkies, and spirit chants (relying on googling "Cheerleading for dummies"), I am reminded of my own glory days...and glorious they were!

(::Caution...the following images may be disturbing to some viewers...proceed at your own risk::)

Pretty cute for a band geek! That instrument is an oboe for those of you non-musicians.
Nothing weird here...he was the head drum major, my junior year. It was tradition for co-drum majors to have portraits done. The gun was part of our uniforms, usually worn in a holster...before the days of zero tolerance. The photographer thought he was being cute.

Stay tuned for "Confessions of an Academic Decathlete"...where I will regail you with stories of triumph, medals, and toilet-paper-on-the-shoe mishaps, in the mecca of all nerd meets...the Academic Decathlon. (Yes, I really did compete (and medaled!) on our school's academic decathlon team...and you thought I was just another ditzy blogger.)

8 comments:

JML said...

Robin, I have to admit that I'm kinda shocked, but here ya go. I was a marching geek too... I rocked the trumpet and drums for years. I know, it just doesn't fit, does it? So I can relate.

Shana said...

I love it! Love the keds!!

AZDonna said...

Ah, the good ol' days. Your momma loved being a band parent and was so proud of you. Remember the video I shot of you winning the caption award at state, and my piercing screams in the background?

Thanks for the memories, sweetie!

Anonymous said...

I haven't found the secret to commenting on your blog, and I've tried twice with one comment. I'll try again.

Your family were all so proud of you the evening of your High School Graduation. You got up from where all the graduates were sitting, and walked to the band, picked up the baton for the last time, and led one number. I wasn't the only one with tears running down my face, and I remember that you said you couldn't see one note, because your eyes were so full.

I've been proud of you all your life, but this event stands out as though it had happened yesterday.

Gma L.

Robin said...

Ahhh...grandma! It was an awesome moment. Good times...good times...

And so is that video Mom! Remember showing Ken that video when we were dating? I thought we'd seen the last of him :)

Kenziepoo said...

Oh, My goodness Robin...I love those pics of you!! You havent aged a bit! I pray that annointing on me...hehe.

Brian and Carrie said...

What great memories you bring back, sis. I was so proud of you when were leading that band. I am just glad I graduated before I had to listen to you as my drum major :)

I wonder what Todd is up to these days (your co-drum major, for those who don't know).

By the way, I hated those uniforms, especially when the outside temperature was 100 degrees. Polyester made it feel like 120 degrees.

Love,
Your Brother

Kelly Wilde said...

Oh my gosh Robin, you are hilarious!! I have some embarrasing high school confessions as well... while you were rockin the band uniform, I was rockin the NJROTC uniform. And when I say uniform, I mean uniform. That stands for Naval Junior Reserves Officer Training Course. Thats right, and one day a week we were required to wear our military uniform to school while marching in cadence with your fellow classmates... I know, what was I thinking? But look at us now!! :)