Friday, November 14, 2008

3 Things


This week, Ken and I went on a business trip
to Wichita, KS. (Yes, Kansas...as in we're not there anymore, Toto.) The kids stayed with our best babysitter, Kate. When we arrived home, Steven looked me squarely in the eye and told me very seriously, "Momma, I have 3 things to tell you."

"Okay." I said with one eyebrow raised. (Not everyone can do that...raise one eyebrow at a time. It's one of my special skills.)

"The first thing is that Kate burned the popcorn." ("Traitor!" says Kate. Apparently, the kids were quite incredulous that she didn't just push the popcorn button on the microwave. Of course, these are the same kids who when told that we didn't have microwaves when I was really little, asked me "Well, how did you make popcorn?")

"The second thing," he said, while counting off on pudgy fingers, "is that we went to the Yancy's, and Josiah gave me a truck and a shirt." (Oh, those Yancys...givers to the core, they would give you the last piece of bread off of their table, if you were hungry. Fortunately, there's enough bread in the Yancy AND Holsinger house. :)

"The third thing is that the toilet almost overflowed." ("Almost, but it didn't!" says Kate. Poor Steven has a phobia of toilets overflowing because of a particularly traumatic run-in with a toilet at church.)

So the moral of the story is...if you are a babysitter, be good. Because my kids tell us EVERYTHING!

4 comments:

markfrancey said...

That touched my heart!!! Your kids are so smart!!! Steven is hilarious!

AZDonna said...

Now I'm sitting here wondering what colorful things he might have told you about my babysitting escapades. ;)

By the way, is that your house in the photo? Because if it is, the picture's backwards. If it's not, someone has a house that looks very much like yours.

Robin said...

It's our house taken from the computer, which I guess is like looking in the mirror.

Anonymous said...

In a few years, it would be fun to listen in on a dialogue between Steven and Nathan, I have a feeling that we would hear some very important discussions. They are surely related!

Some day, I'm going to learn how to comment on your blog, and not remain anonymous.

Gma L.